In today’s article, guide and FREE online fashion sewing video tutorial, I’d like to demonstrate for you the technique of lay planning (laying down sewing pattern pieces) onto lace fabric.
Now it’s not as complicated as you may of first thought, and I hope, by the end of this quick and easy to follow fashion sewing tutorial, you’ll head right on to the lace section of your local fabric stores and dive right in.
After all, there are some wonderful sewing projects to made and shown off to the world out there!
Working with Lace Fabric
Lay planning on lace fabric is NOT a difficult technique to get right. In fact, I’d go so far as saying that most beginner fashion sewers wouldn’t really struggle.
But why? Some of you may be wondering!
To put it simply, lace fabric does not have a straight of grain. Therefore, generally, the sewing pattern piece can be placed anywhere at any angle and still fall and fit correctly.
Lace fabric (as a general rule), also does not have a selvage, replaced instead by a scalloped edge on either one or both sides.
The only real issue we, as fashion sewers will face, when lay planning our sewing pattern pieces onto lace fabric, is working correctly with it’s unique pattern.
There are so many different characteristics of lace fabric, from either a net or mesh background through to the many patterns, designs, motifs, beads, cords or ribbons and sequins etc.
All we must do when lay planning, is to lay a sewing pattern piece in a way that compliments the lace fabric itself.
Fancy having a try? Let’s give it a go -
Lay Planning on Lace Fabric with Colleen G Lea
I do hope you find the following video tutorial of some use.
Please do subscribe to my FashionSewingBlogTV. It’s FREE to join and you’ll receive regular updates when new demonstrations are posted.
Lay Planning on Lace Fabric – General Points to Follow
• Work with the design in the lace and lay your pattern pieces according to what you want to capture on the final garment.
• Use a directional lay plan to follow the direction of the design.
• Use complete pattern pieces rather than half patterns whenever possible as this enables balance on either side.
• Place sewing pattern pieces onto the right side of the lace fabric.
• Use the shaped edge / border to your advantage. The beauty of some lace is the scalloped edge is a completed hemline, completed for you.
• Use sharp pins and pin into the seam allowance, to avoid snagging the lace.
I hope you found this article and fashion sewing video tutorial of some use.
If you have any questions regarding this or any other fashion sewing related matter, then please do get in touch.
Happy fashion sewing
Become a Better Fashion Sewer with Fashion Sewing Blog
Click – ‘Browse Books‘ and take a look.