Why should I make my own clothes? Isn’t shopping for them a lot less hassle?
The whole process of making your own clothes is one of exhilaration, and the need to fulfill a desire to communicate and show to society your own personal and unique style. That “made by me” feel that you just want to share with your family, friends and work colleagues is why you should consider putting away your money, and explore all that fashion sewing has to offer.
I know this is a daring statement, but it really could change your life in more ways than you realise, building confidence, filling that creative gap, and believe it or not, addressing that simple human instinct to cloth oneself.
Below are some of the reasons why I believe you should start making your own clothes. START TODAY!! Build yourself a collection of clothes that you will treasure forever.
1. You could save money, therefore having more cash to buy and accessorize those new creations (imagine – more gorgeous shoes and handbags).
2. Create your own fashion style that suits your body shape.
3. Don’t let other designers colour your world. Making your own clothes allows freedom to choose styles and designs that suit your INDIVIDUAL skin tone.
4. Create a one-off design, unique to yourself. Have pride that no other person in the world has the same dress, skirt, top etc as you.
5. To be creative and fulfill that basic human desire.
6. To have well made clothing that you will love to wear, time and time again.
7. The sense of personal achievement when you finish, wear and show off your clothing.
8. The self esteem and confidence fashion sewing allows, as we are all judged more an more on our appearance and creating unique clothing gives a greater feeling of being in control of your very own fashion image.
If you don’t believe me, then let me assure you this is taken from personal experience. I have created unique, stylish and one-off pieces of clothing for over 30 years and found this truly satisfying. If fashion sewing hadn’t brought all the virtues I have mentioned, I wouldn’t still be doing it and expressing my desire for it after all this time.
Fashionsewingblog.com has been created to give ME a forum in which I try to bring the passion of fashion to YOU. Fashionsewingblog.com has been created to help YOU become a more competent fashion sewer and start as I did to bring creative flair to a rather bland and boring world.
If you can you add to the list above and tell me and other fashion sewers more virtues as to why you make your own clothes, leave a comment below and I’ll display your idea’s on future posts. Don’t forget, you can also follow me on Twitter and Facebook.
Colleen G Lea